High Cloud Point Glycol or Glycol Drill HC is a high-quality Drilling Glycol for using in water-based drilling fluids in order to providing wellbore stability and shale inhibition while drilling through problematic shale layers in high-temperature formations. High Cloud Point Glycol has minimum adverse effects on rheological and filtration properties of fluids and is entirely water soluble in low temperatures. Upon the increase of temperature, Glycol Drill HC produces micelles in the water which is known as the cloud point phenomenon. The produced micelles are capable of plugging and coating the downhole formations, reducing the possibility of shale instability by minimizing the pressure transmission. The mentioned cloud point is highly related to the salinity of used water. Performance of High Cloud Point Glycol is elevated in the presence of KCL salt.
Cloud Point temperature of High Cloud Point Glycol in 25% Salt water is approximately 70 to 75 Celsius degrees.
High Cloud Point Glycol is optimum to be used in drilling operations for drilling formations with temperature of 70˚ C or more.
Cloud point temperature is highly related to salinity of the brine which is used for preparing the drilling fluid. The below figure, reveals this relationship for a mud containing 3% vol/vol High Cloud Point Glycol.
Advantages and Benefits
Glycol Drill HC is used in water-based mud systems for drilling various formations. Commonly, most formations are shale layers, however, other rocks such as argillaceous, mudstones, siltstones, and claystones can also be drilled using this additive. Using High Cloud Point Glycol as an effective inhibitor, helps with many drilling challenges such as shale instability, balled up BHA, pipe stuck, clay swelling, pack off, and so on.
Glycol Drill HC provided by TEAM is compatible with different types of water-based drilling fluids. High Cloud Point Glycol is proved to be an effective product for maximizing shale stability with minimum adverse effects on filtration and rheological properties of the fluid. Other advantages of Glycol Drill HC are explained briefly:
- Minimizes shale swelling by pore plugging and TAME (Thermally Activated Mud Emulsion) properties
- Optimum for drilling formations with temperature of 70˚ C or more
- Environmentally acceptable
- Compatible with different types of water-based drilling fluids
- Improves filter-cake quality and high-temperature filtration control
- provides higher efficiency than conventional inhibitors
- Compatible with Gilsonite or asphaltic inhibitors
- Improves lubricity of fluid
- Lowers potential risks for pipe stuck
- Reduces Torque and Drag problems
- Reduces bit balling possibility
- Helps to increase penetration rates
- Provides shale stability and lubricity
- Minimum adverse effect on rheological properties of fluids
Purchasing From TEAM
TEAM has been actively supplying High Cloud Point Glycol to drilling fluid service companies and suppliers, and has competitive pricing. Our Glycol Drill HC has been supplied to various countries; references and case studies are available upon request. We have a standard quality control system in place and can arrange for international inspection with the help of inspection companies such as SGS.
The price of High Cloud Point Glycol may vary depending on its purity and delivery method. Please contact TEAM sales department through our contact numbers.
High Cloud Point Glycol is available in 55-Gal Drums.