Medium Cloud Point Glycol or Glycol Drill MC is a high-quality synthetic grade glycol for using in water-based drilling fluids in order to provide wellbore stability and high shale inhibition while drilling through problematic shale layers with minimum adverse effects on rheological and filtration properties. Medium Cloud Point Glycol is completely water soluble in low temperatures. Upon the increase of a temperature, Glycol Drill MC will produce micelles in the water which is known as cloud point phenomenon. The produced micelles are believed to be capable of plugging and coating the downhole formations and reduce possibility of shale instability by minimizing the pressure transmission. The mentioned cloud point is highly related to the salinity of used water. Performance of Glycol Drill MC is elevated in presence of KCL salt.
Cloud Point temperature of Glycol Drill MC in 25% Salt water is approximately 40 to 50 Celsius degrees. Therefore, Glycol Drill MC is optimum to be used in drilling operations for drilling formations with temperature of 40˚ C or more.
Glycol Drill MC can also be used in drilling fluids as gas hydrate inhibitors in deep sea water drilling operations.
Cloud point temperature is highly related to salinity of the brine which is use for preparing drilling fluid. Below figure, reveals this relationship for a mud containing 3% vol/vol Glycol Drill MC.
Advantages and Benefits
Glycol Drill MC is used in water-based mud systems for drilling in various formations. Commonly, most formations are shale layers, however, other rocks such as argillaceous, mudstones, siltstones, and claystones can also be drilled using this additive. Using Medium cloud point Glycolas an effective inhibitor, helps with many drilling challenges such as shale instability, balled up BHA, pipe stuck, clay swelling, pack off, and so on.
Glycol Drill MC provided by TEAM is compatible with different types of water-based drilling fluids. Medium cloud point Glycol is proved to be an effective product for maximizing shale stability with minimum adverse effects on filtration and rheological properties of the fluid. Other advantages of Medium cloud point Glycol are explained briefly:
- Minimizes shale swelling by pore plugging and TAME (Thermally Activated Mud Emulsion) properties
- Optimum for drilling formations with temperature of 40˚ C or more
- Environmentally acceptable
- Compatible with different types of water-based drilling fluids
- Improves filter-cake quality and medium-temperature filtration control
- provides higher efficiency than conventional inhibitors
- Compatible with Gilsonite or asphaltic inhibitors
- Improves lubricity of fluid
- Lowers potential risks for pipe stuck
- Reduces Torque and Drag problems
- Reduces bit balling possibility
- Helps to increase penetration rates
- Provides shale stability and lubricity
- Minimum adverse effect on rheological properties of fluids
Purchasing From TEAM
TEAM has been actively supplying Glycol Drill MC to drilling fluid service companies and suppliers, and has competitive pricing. Our Medium cloud point Glycol has been supplied to Iraq and neighboring countries; references are available upon request. We have a standard quality control system in place and can arrange for international inspection with the help of inspection companies such as SGS.
The price of Glycol Drill MC may vary depending on its purity and delivery method. Please contact TEAM sales department through our contact numbers.
Available in 55-Gal Drums.