Linear Alkylpanzen (LAB) is used in various industries, the main applications are as follows:
– Production of powder detergents – Production of liquid detergents such as dish washing liquid, glass cleaners and household scavengers
– Production of agricultural herbicides – Used in emulsion polymerization, which is one of the methods of polymer production in industry
– Use as an emulsifier
– Use as a emollient and moisturizing agent
– Use in the production of oily power cables
– Used to produce ink and paint solvents
As mentioned above one of the main application of LAB is in production of herbicides for agricultural industry. For this purpose, first LAB is converted to Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate (LAS) through emulsion process. Then LAS is converted to Linear Alkybenzene Sulfonic Acid (LABSA). This final material is used to produce agricultural herbicides.
Application of Linear Alkylbenzene (LAB) in detergent industry
Linear Alkylpanzen (LAB) as an important raw material in the detergent industry has many applications, some of which are as follows. Uses of this cleaning agent increased world wide due to the COVID-19 virus and the increasing use of detergents and cleaners.
– This substance is used as a surfactant in dilute solutions due to its cleaning properties.
– LAB is used as the main raw material of all detergents.
– This material is used to prevent any contamination or disease in household cleaners.
How to properly store Linear Alkylbenzene (LAB)?
As with any chemical, Linear Alkylbenzene (LAB) should be stored in special location as follow: – Avoid direct contact with this substance. – Strictly avoid eating and drinking while working. – Keep the LAB away from strong oxidants.
– Prevent unprotected fire and sparks in the warehouse.
– Avoid storing large quantities of this material in small warehouses.
– This material is best stored in stainless steel or carbon steel containers.
– LAB storage and warehouses should be cool and well ventilated.
Dangers of Linear alkylbenzene for the human body
In addition to the benefits and properties we mentioned about LAB, it also poses risks to human health. The following are the acute effects of this substance on human health.
– Under standard conditions of working with this substance, there are no special risks, but without following the safety tips, it may cause slight irritation of the skin and eyes.
– Inhalation of LAB-emitted gases in high concentrations for long periods of time can lead to dizziness, headache, and respiratory irritation.
First aid against Linear Alkylbenzene
When working with LAB, due to carelessness or non-observance of safety tips, people may come into contact with this substance, which we have introduced in the following section, appropriate and necessary first aid in case of such conditions.
Inhalation: In case of overheating of the substance or fire, a lot of gas vapor and aerosol (suspended particles) enter the patient’s respiratory. Immediately take the patient to a well-ventilated area and use an oxygen capsule if necessary.
Eye contact: Immediately rinse the patient’s eyes regularly with large amount of water for at least 15 minutes. Skin contact: Quickly remove contaminated clothing from the patient’s body and wash his body thoroughly with soap and water.
Eating this substance: In this case, you should not induce vomiting for the patient, as this may lead to a risk of pulmonary aspiration, and it is better to see a doctor immediately.